Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Raising the Minimum Wage



Over the years as a family I can say we've hit some rough patches. I think it really happens to the best of us. Between taking care of family members or just the economy completely tanking... my family has been hit by the need for help or a new job. Living in Florida has been a life lesson for me, especially on what it means to be middle class or even considered poor.

In the area I live in, minimum wage jobs are the norm. Even if you are working a job that truly deserves more than the pennies minimum wage is. Daytona Beach is the perfect example of the rich getting richer and the poor... well not going many places. I am sure there are so many communities across the country in the same position.

I grew up middle class, and sometimes my father would work 2-3 jobs and I wouldn't see him for days on end so that we could get by. It's just something I've always known, despite wanting better for my own children. Hell, I bust my ass every chance I get to make sure they don't ever have to go without. Life isn't perfect, and we certainly aren't rich. But we make it by somehow... when we get into a tight spot.

Last night I planned on sitting down to watch the State of the Union address but between Grandpa coming home from the hospital, and getting settled in... oh and getting dinner on the table there just wasn't time to sit down and watch television. So, I caught up with the key points today. One of which really stood out to me. Well, two... but I am going to start with raising the minimum wage. President Obama made an excellent point when he encouraged members of congress who are staunchly against raising the minimum wage to live on a mere $15,000 a year and see how far that would get them. I mean, I personally would LOVE to see how far they would get on an income like that. Because so many of those who are against it... live these lavish lifestyles that wouldn't float them for a month with that kind of income.

A month. Maybe a little longer, give or take.

The point being, the majority of Republican's weren't too happy with that. Because it pointed out one of the major flaws in the system we live. The rich continue to get rich... and the poor stay on the same level, or go backwards. Making less money (when the economy tanked) than they have in years previous. The system isn't set up to help people get back on their feet. It is set up to keep people alive, not thriving.

Yes, there are some people who can overcome their situation and move on. Mainly people with educations. Something that I also support the President's ideas on. Community college being in reach for all those students who actually want and work for their education. When I graduated high school I knew I couldn't go to college because I couldn't afford it. It would have been irresponsible for me to take out student loans when I had no idea what I wanted to do with my life. So many of the people I graduated high school with had the same feeling. Going to these big universities and now they are waiting tables and paying off huge student loans in fields they'll probably never work.

That isn't a fair start at adulthood by any means.

Back to the State of the Union address... Equal pay for women. It is about damn time we get this taken care of. Hell the President has been talking about it for some time now. Why isn't this done? It has nothing to do with qualifications, and education anymore because there are female CEO's running Fortune 500 companies that continue to be paid less than their male counterparts. What kind of message does that send to our daughters?

"Oh well... I'll just marry rich and become a housewife. Ya know, because it's 1950 and all." Hell, if that is what they want to do, more power to them. But they should be afforded the same opportunities as their brothers, and classmates. They shouldn't have to live in a world where men make more money just because they have a dick. No way. No how. It is 2015, not the 1900's. Let's get our shit together America!

At the end of the day, I think all American's should support raising the minimum wage. It does nothing but better our communities and strengthen our economy.



No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Images by Freepik